Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hello. My name is Jim Ryan. Welcome to my blog.

In the following posts, you'll see some of the headlines and blurbs I've written as an associate editor for SportingNews.com, a position I've held since May 2006. I occasionally write stories, as well, and links to several of them are below.

I received a B.A. (American Studies) from the University of Notre Dame in 2006. In my free time, I follow Fighting Irish football religiously, play copious amounts of tennis, read voraciously (mostly American fiction) and tutor GED students.

If you have questions for me or would like to see more of my work, don't hesitate to email me at jryaniv [at] gmail [dot] com.

Writing samples

From the 2008 Wachovia Championship (PGA Tour golf):

http://www.sportingnews.com/golf/article/2008-05-04/kim-shows-promise-poise-wachovia-triumph

http://www.sportingnews.com/golf/article/2008-05-02/quail-hollow-17th-will-drive-you-drink

http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/8183/boo_weekley_cooler_than_every_other_golfer

From the 2008 Davis Cup (international team tennis competition) tie between the United States and France:

http://www.sportingnews.com/tennis/article/2008-04-13/roddick-leads-us-davis-cup-semis-young-talent-way

Calling for baseball to stop being reactionary and adopt instant replay (which it did, to a limited extent, no doubt because of my column):

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/article/2008-05-26/excuses-cant-justify-refusing-try-instant-replay

Ghostwriting a college football player's weekly diary for Sporting News Today:

http://www.sportingnews.com/college-football/article/2009-12-03/oregon-states-kristick-i-really-dont-these-guys

I can do more than sports, as evidenced by these stories I wrote for Notre Dame Magazine:

http://magazine.nd.edu/news/10136-preachin-the-blues

http://magazine.nd.edu/news/10141

My favorite blurbs

http://jimryaniv.blogspot.com/2009/06/its-better-than-march-of-penguins.html

http://jimryaniv.blogspot.com/2009/07/perfect-blurb-for-perfect-game.html

http://jimryaniv.blogspot.com/2009/05/in-which-i-riff-on-espn.html

http://jimryaniv.blogspot.com/2009/05/top-story-warns-against-getting-too.html

http://jimryaniv.blogspot.com/2009/05/mr-swofford-goes-to-washington.html